In many jobs, staff can be sitting for prolonged periods of time. Employers have a duty of care to ensure their staff are seated comfortably and with adequate support. Did you know that 40% of the UK population are affected by lower back pain?
In a typical week, workers can spend on average 5 hours and 41 minutes seated at their desk. With this statistic in mind, it’s imperative to emphasise the importance of quality seating within the office and meeting each individual’s requirements.
So what is required for comfortable seating in terms of features and functionality?
- The chair should be fully adjustable in terms of height and back rest. A correctly adjusted chair with lumbar support will reduce the strain on your back.
- By ensuring that an adjustable chair is used, the height can be altered so that the keyboard can be easily accessed, with wrists and forearms straight and level with the floor. Adjusting the height of the chair and back angle to suit your individual height, weight and build is very beneficial.
- Keep arms bent in an ‘L’ shape and elbows by your sides.
- Armrests are useful to take the weight off your arms, especially if you’re sitting down for long periods.
- It is also important that when sitting at a desk, the person should position themselves so that thighs are parallel, knees should be slightly lower than your hips.
- Use a footrest if necessary.
- A head rest can encourage improved posture by supporting your head and neck.
Countless ergonomic studies have determined that high quality seating has a major influence on productivity. Poor quality seating can cause back pain, repetitive stress injuries and neck problems. It’s also important to encourage movement, as sedentary lifestyles are increasingly linked to poor health consequences.
It is certainly worth investing in quality seating. At Dawson Hinds Creative Spaces, we have a range of seating options to suit individual office requirements. All our chairs are available in a selection of exciting colours. For more details, call us on 028 71311741 or email us at [email protected]